A Strong Commitment to Diversity
Diversity issues are emphasized in all clinical courses, as well as in practica. The program has recruited and retained a diverse faculty and student body. Currently, six of the 13 clinical faculty are people of color (2 African American, 3 Latino/a, 1 Asian American). Of 53 students graduating from the clinical program in 2006-2013, 26 (49 percent) were ethnic minorities.
Extensive Practicum Opportunities
The clinical program provides state-of-the-art training beginning in
our in-house clinic, DePaul Family and Community Services (FCS). DePaul
FCS is a vibrant community mental health center serving predominantly
ethnic minority, low-income youth and families. In addition to
psychological assessment, psychotherapy and case management services,
students placed at DePaul FCS receive supervised training in delivery of
several evidence-based interventions including Parent-Child Interaction
Therapy, Act and Adapt and the Mother-Daughter Program.
All students complete their first year of practicum at FCS (year two
of the doctoral program), and some students choose to remain at FCS for
advanced practice. In addition to DePaul FCS, students select from a
variety of Chicago-area externship sites for advanced training. Recent
- Advocate Illinois Masonic Medical Center Behavioral Health Service
- Advocate Illinois Masonic Medical Center Pediatric Development Center
- DePaul University Counseling Services
- Howard Brown Health Center
- John H. Stroger Hospital of Cook County Child and Adolescent Department
- University of Chicago Neuropsychology (Pediatric and Adult)
- University of Chicago Child and Adolescent Outpatient
- University of Chicago Student Counseling Services
- University of Illinois at Chicago (UIC) Institute for Juvenile Research
- UIC Neuropsychology (Pediatric and Adult)
Prominent Internship Placements
DePaul Clinical Psychology students have been successful in securing highly regarded internships, including:
- Boston Children’s Hospital/Harvard Medical School
- Boston Consortium in Clinical Psychology (PTSD - Behavioral Sciences)
- Columbia University Medical Center
- Kennedy Krieger/Johns Hopkins University
- New York University/Bellevue Hospital Center
- Northwestern Memorial Hospital/Medical School
- UCSF at SFGH Child and Adolescent Services
- USC Student Counseling Center
- Stanford Children’s Hospital
Download our more extensive list of internship placements for additional details.
DePaul’s clinical psychology program has received three APA awards, two focused on overall excellence in training and one focused on diversity.
"A major reason I chose DePaul’s clinical program was the in-depth training they provide in multicultural and diversity issues, and their commitment to serving underserved populations."
— C. Danko, advanced clinical program doctoral student