The Psychology MS program admits 5-6 students per year, based on a combination of grades, GRE
scores, letters of recommendation, and faculty-student fit.
Applications are due no later than April 20th, although we do begin the application review and acceptance process as early as April 1st; early application is encouraged.
The Master of Science in General Psychology faculty review all application materials carefully and evaluate applications with emphasis on the following criteria:
- Completeness of Credentials: Faculty will only review complete applications submitted before the April 20 deadline. The review process begins earlier for completed applications.
- Graduate Record Examination (GRE) and Grade Point Average (GPA): The general GRE is required for all applicants. A GPA of 3.5 or higher is advised. If an applicant is particularly strong in one area, but not another, these criteria may not be followed rigidly.
- Undergraduate Preparation: A minimum of six courses in psychology, including a four quarter hour (three semester hour) elementary statistics course, as well as a course in research methods or experimental psychology is required. Applicants who lack prerequisites will be required to take the necessary courses, without graduate credit, before enrolling in the program. Preference is given to those applicants who have a well-balanced background of psychology courses and some background in science and mathematics. Students who do not have an undergraduate major in Psychology, but who otherwise satisfy the following requirements, may apply. Download and complete the Course History List form.
- Letters of Recommendation: Faculty carefully review letters of recommendation. Selected recommenders are encouraged to address the applicant’s academic background and achievements.
- Personal Statement: No specific prompt is provided in order to allow applicants the freedom to express themselves as they deem appropriate. Applicants are encouraged to highlight their research interests and name faculty with whom they would like to work. A guideline of two to three pages is advised.
- Minority Status: MS faculty encourage applications from students of minority background.
- Students with Disabilities: MS faculty encourage applications from students with disabilities.
General Admission Requirements
Please read through the instructions below before completing the online application.
A completed graduate school application must be accompanied by:
- Personal statement
- Graduate Record Exam (GRE) scores
- Three letters of recommendation
- One official transcript from each institution attended
- Course history list
- Application fee of $40
Resumes, personal statements and course history lists may be uploaded along with the online application. Official transcripts may also be submitted by email if the issuing institution offers this service. Please make sure that your name and program of interest is on all documents.
Credentials not submitted electronically should be sent to the following address:
Office of Graduate Admission
College of Science and Health
2400 N. Sheffield Avenue
Chicago, IL 60614-2215
The $40.00 application fee must be paid when you submit your application, unless a waiver is requested. The fee may be paid by credit card when you submit your online application. It may also be paid by check made out to "DePaul University" and sent to the address above. Please be sure to write your name on the check.
Application Fee Waiver
To request a waiver, please submit your online application and select the “pay later” option. Once your application has been submitted, send a request to firstname.lastname@example.org. The Office of Graduate Admission will process the request and contact you if the fee can be waived. The same process applies to Ronald E. McNair Scholars as well.
Information For International Students
International students (those who were educated outside of the U.S. and/or require an F1 visa) must take additional steps to be considered for admission. Please visit our Graduate International Admission site for exact information.
Learn more about our Graduate Psychology Program:
Online: Complete the Contact Us form
Email: Send an email to GradDePaul@depaul.edu.
Call: (773) 325-7315 or toll free 1-800-4DEPAUL (outside Illinois)
Take the next step
Learn more about Graduate Admission.
Attend an Admission Event.
Ready to apply?
If you need assistance to complete your application and/or have questions, contact the CSH Graduate Admission office at (773) 325-7315 or email@example.com.