College of Science and Health > Student Resources > Office of Advising & Student Services > Undergraduate Advising > Forms > Independent Study

Independent Study

​ An Independent Study course is a course taken with faculty supervision for knowledge enhancement beyond the courses offered in a particular area of interest. In rare cases, when scheduling or other conflicts exist, a regular course may be taken as an Independent Study.

In order to register for an Independent Study course, students must submit a completed CSH Independent Study Application​removed signed by the supervising faculty member, department chair and student to the CSH Office of Advising and Student Services for processing.

Enrollment in an independent study becomes part of the student's academic load. Procedures for withdrawal from such courses are the same as for regularly scheduled courses.

Independent Study Policies:

  • Independent Study course do not carry over from one quarter to another; a new application must be completed each quarter.
  • Applications for standard independent studies must:
    • be submitted no later than the end of the first week of the quarter.
    • include the signatures of both the instructor and the department chair.
    • indicate an equivalent course number or course title for transcript purposes.
  • Applications will not be processed if they're incomplete, incorrect, or denied.
  • If you submit your application after the last date to add, please contact DePaul Central (SAC 101) to verify possible financial aid and tuition implications(Financial aid for the term may already be either entirely disbursed for the quarter or not available.)

Students looking to register for a Junior Year Experiential Learning (JYEL) credit Independent Study course must also complete the Independent Study Application below.

CSH Independent Study Form.pdf