College of Science and Health | DePaul University > Admission & Aid > Graduate Admission & Aid > Newly Admitted Graduate Students > FAQ

Frequently Asked Questions by Newly Admitted Grad Students

I received my admission letter in the mail. What is my next step?

Your first step is to complete the Intent to Enroll form. Submitting this form notifies the College of Science and Health and the Office of Graduate Admission that you intend to enroll at DePaul for the quarter stated in your admission letter. You will receive an email acknowledging that your student record has been activated within one to two business days.

How do I choose my classes and follow my progress toward degree?

Degree-seeking students should consult their admission packet or program website for information on course selection and sequence. If this information was not included, students should contact their department's graduate program director or the Office of Graduate Admission at (773) 325-7315 or for assistance.

If you are a newly admitted non-degree student or a student-at-large, contact the graduate student services administrator in the College of Science and Health's Office of Advising and Student Services at (773) 325-8490 or for assistance.

Current students should follow their progress toward degree via the Degree Progress Report (DPR) found under the 'For Students' tab in Campus Connect. In addition view the Course Catalog for specific program and course detail.

Am I assigned an advisor?

In most cases, your advisor is the director of your graduate program. However, depending on your program, there may be exceptions. Please contact your department to determine who your advisor will be. If you are a non-degree seeking student or a student-at-large, your advisor is the graduate student services administrator in the College of Science and Health's Office of Advising and Student Services. You may contact the administrator by calling (773) 325-8490 or emailing for assistance.

When can I register for classes?

The date on which you can register for courses is determined by the university. You will receive an email from DePaul indicating the date on which registration begins. You can also view your registration appointment in the Student Center section of your Campus Connect by selecting "Enroll," and then selecting the term for which you would like to enroll. 

How do I register for classes?

You will register online through Campus Connect by simply following the prompts to register for your first term. Please note that some programs will register you for your first term as a DePaul graduate student, so please check with your program office for specifics regarding course registration. After you have registered for classes, you may then obtain your student ID, email and U-Pass from one of the ID Card Services Offices.​

Where do I get my Campus Connect user ID and password?

You can find your Campus Connect user ID and initial password in your admission letter. If you have misplaced or discarded that letter, you may also obtain your user ID and password by contacting the Technology Support Center at (312) 362-8765. Obtaining your user ID and password is the first step in registering for classes and accessing information and resources made available to admitted students through DePaul's Campus Connect. If you are interested in obtaining your user ID and password by visiting one of  DePaul's ID Card Services Offices, please visit the Information Services website for more information.

How do I get my student photo ID, email account information and U-Pass?

After you have registered for classes, you may obtain a photo ID card and DePaul email account. The ID card functions as a library card and is required for entry into some buildings and computer labs. To obtain your ID card, you will need to visit one of the ID Card Services Offices.

All students are provided a free DePaul email account. Accounts can be created and accessed at Free online training for your email account, is available from Media Production and Training.

Students who are enrolled full-time may be eligible for a U-Pass, which greatly reduces the cost of rides on the CTA. All eligible students are automatically enrolled in the program and are responsible for picking up the U-Pass and paying the CTA fee. Eligibility is determined based on your academic program, credit hours, and course locations as it appears on your registration. For more information, please visit the U-Pass website at

I noticed that DePaul's academic terms are called quarters. What is the difference between a semester and a quarter?

Unlike semesters, which are typically 15-16 weeks in length, DePaul's quarters are ten weeks in length, occurring in the autumn, winter, spring and summer. Quarters are only ten weeks in length, with one week dedicated to final exams. Many of our students find the quarter system challenging and worthwhile, mimicking the speed of the real world as quarters tend to progress rapidly.  Be sure to refer to the Academic Calendar for important deadlines and dates.

How much is tuition?

Tuition for the 2015 - 2016 academic year is $680.00 per credit hour; most classes are four credit hours. You may contact Student Financial Accounts for questions and more information about tuition and billing.

How do I change my address/phone number/email/married name with the university?

You should update any changes to your contact information in Campus Connect. To change your name or correct your Social Security Number, date of birth or gender, please visit the University Registrar website.​

How do I find out where my classes are located?

Classroom assignments are posted on your schedule by the start of the academic quarter. You can view this information through the Student Center section in Campus Connect. Select "Enroll," then click on the desired term, then click "continue." Your courses, as well as classroom locations, will be listed once the information is available. Classroom assignments are also located on the bulletin boards of all academic buildings on the first day of classes.

Where do I find information about financial aid?

The Office of Financial Aid is your resource for answering questions and finding information about financing your graduate degree.

Does my program offer scholarships or graduate assistantships?

Some programs offer scholarship opportunities and/or graduate assistantships. Please contact your department directly for more information.​​

Does DePaul offer health insurance to graduate students?

​Y​​es, all DePaul students are eligible for the Student Health Insurance Plan, including non-degree seeking students, as long as they are taking at least one class in the current quarter. DePaul University offers students and their dependents a health insurance policy through Aetna Student Health.

In addition to providing coverage for illnesses and injuries, both on and off campus, the plan now offers 100% coverage for routine physical exams, with no cost sharing, when care is received at an Aetna Preferred Provider. You may also purchase a Dental and Prescription Discount Card for care at an Aetna Preferred Provider. The policy period is September 1st through August 31st.

The Student Health Insurance Plan with Aetna Student Health is voluntary and is not included in the student's tuition package. For more information about the Student Health Insurance Plan or to enroll, please visit:

  • The Student Affairs Office - Student Center 306 at the Lincoln Park Campus, or Lewis Center 1400 at the Loop Campus or the Student Affairs website
  • Aetna Student Health's website for DePaul University
  • or call Aetna's Customer Service Department at (800) 878-1938. Please reference DePaul's policy number of 711116.

I am an international student and have been accepted to attend DePaul University. How do I get my I-20?

Students who plan to apply for F-1 student visa status are required by U.S. Immigration law to submit evidence of adequate funding to meet the estimated tuition and living expenses for their first year of study before the I-20 form can be issued. You must complete and submit the Financial Affidavit of Support.pdf ​​​along with a current (dated) and original bank statement verifying the availability of $36,440 USD. Please note that the financial affidavit of support form and original bank statement verifying the availability of funds cannot be more than six months old. In addition, all documents must be written in English or accompanied by an official translation. Promissory notes or employers statement of estimated earnings will not be accepted.

All students requiring an I-20 from DePaul must submit a copy of the identification page of their passport with their financial documents.    

If you are currently in F-1 visa status and attending another school, college, university or English Language program in the U.S. and are admitted to DePaul University, you must receive a new DePaul I-20 form. Please submit the financial documents and copy of your passport as outlined above, as well as a copy of your current U.S. visa page, a copy of your current I-20 form, and a completed Transfer Release Form 2012-2013.pdf.

You must receive your new DePaul I-20 within 60 days of completing your studies at your current institution. The documents outlined above are not requirements for admission, but are necessary for the issuance of your I-20 form. Please note that I-20 forms can only be issued to students who are accepted to DePaul in a full-time degree-seeking program.

Please submit the documents as soon as possible to:

DePaul University
Office of Graduate Admission
College of Science and Health
2400 N. Sheffield Ave.
Chicago, Illinois 60614 USA