College of Science and Health > Admission & Aid > Graduate Admission & Aid > Graduate Tuition and Aid

Graduate Tuition and Aid

Graduate school is an investment in your future. The following information can help you make an informed decision about financing your graduate education.


Tuition information for graduate students in the College of Science and Health is available on the Student Financial Accounts website.

Student Loan Options

A student loan is a form of financial aid that must be repaid, with interest. Student loans are offered through the federal government direct loan program or through private lenders (also called alternative student loans).

Eligibility for unsubsidized direct loans is not based on financial need; however, you will still need to complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). The direct loan limit is $20,500 per year as a graduate or professional student. Direct loans borrowed after July 1, 2012 will be entirely unsubsidized, meaning that the loans will accumulate interest while you are in school. You may either pay the interest while you are enrolled, or it will be accrued and capitalized to the principal. Repayment of the principal is deferred until you graduate or cease to be enrolled at least half time. 

The Grad Plus Loan is a credit-based federal loan which requires students to be enrolled at least half-time in a degree-seeking program. Students may borrow up to the estimated cost of attendance minus any other financial aid received. This is a fixed-interest loan and repayment begins immediately after graduation or if the student withdraws or drops below half-time enrollment. A credit check and your submitted FASFA are required to apply.

How to Apply for Federal Loans
U.S. citizens and permanent residents (green card holders) may apply for federal financial aid. Visit the FASFA website  and complete the FAFSA online. DePaul’s code is 001671. You will need to complete a FAFSA for each academic year that you want to receive financial aid.
Private educational loans are available from private lenders as another source of funding for students when federal funding does not fully cover the cost of attendance. Private educational loan lenders perform credit checks for eligibility. The Office of Financial Aid website provides guidance on what to look for and what questions you should ask when researching private lenders. Visit the “Types of Aid” section on the Office of Financial Aid website.

Graduate Assistantships and Scholarships

Graduate students may be eligible for assistantships and/or scholarships. University-based graduate assistantships and scholarships are awarded by the individual academic programs. This type of funding is limited and highly competitive. Graduate assistants typically complete up to 20 hours of weekly service for the academic program in exchange for a tuition waiver and stipend. Please note the service hours and award amounts are different for each program. The application process for graduate assistantships and scholarships also varies by academic program; please visit the program websites for more information. It also is important to check on application deadlines. The following academic programs in the College of Science and Health currently offer graduate financial assistance:

DePaul Double Demon Scholarship

Any newly admitted student who has graduated from DePaul (has a degree conferred - bachelor's, master's or doctorate) will be eligible to receive a Double Demon Scholarship, as a 25% automatic discount, for any GRADUATE coursework they take after the degree is conferred. This includes degree coursework, certificate coursework and non-degree coursework. It does not include coursework from the Center for Professional Education (CPE), Institute for Professional Development (IPD), coursework in a doctoral program or a master of fine arts (MFA), Music, Theatre, Law and a few other select programs. The Double Demon Scholarship cannot be used in conjunction with any other institutional aid or discount. Should a student be offered any additional assistance from the University, the more advantageous of the two awards will be applied. For more information, contact the Office of Graduate Admission at or (773) 325-7315.

External Scholarships

Graduate students are encouraged to seek additional funding from outside sources. A listing of scholarship search engines is available on the Office of Financial Aid website. You also may contact any social, religious, military or professional organizations with which you are affiliated to see if they sponsor scholarship programs.

Employer Tuition Assistance Programs

Many employers offer a variety of tuition reimbursement or assistance programs to cover advanced education for their employees. To find out if you are eligible to receive employee tuition assistance, please contact your employer’s human resources office. DePaul offers an extended payment plan option for students participating in an employer reimbursement program. For more information, visit the Payment Plans section of the DePaul Central website.

Veteran's Educational Benefits

If you are a veteran of U.S. military service, an eligible active-duty member of the military or an eligible dependent, you may be eligible for Veteran's Affairs (VA) Educational Benefits. DePaul also is a proud participant in the Yellow Ribbon program. For more information, visit the Office of Financial Aid website.

Loan Forgiveness Programs

The federal government may cancel all or part of your student loan debt if you agree to work in certain fields, under certain conditions. Military service, teaching in low-income schools, public service or practicing medicine in some communities may qualify you for loan forgiveness. For more information, visit under the "Repay Your Loans" section.

University Payment Plans

To help fit the cost of graduate school in your budget, DePaul provides multiple methods of payment and payment plans.

Please note that the information provided is current as of June 2023 and is subject to change.