College of Science and Health > Admission & Aid > Graduate Admission & Aid > Newly Admitted Graduate Students > International Next Steps

International Next Steps

1. Submit required documentation to obtain I-20 or DS-2019 (F-1 and J-1 Students)
Newly admitted international students seeking an F-1 or J-1 student visa must submit a copy of the identification page of their passport, a complete Financial Affidavit of Support.pdf, and original financial documents showing their ability to afford tuition and living expenses totaling $34,840 USD. 

In addition to the financial documentation listed above, international students already in the U.S. on an F-1 student visa will be required to complete the Transfer Release Form 2012-2013.pdf and submit a copy of their passport ID page, a copy of their current I-94 card, a copy of their current U.S. visa, and a copy of their current or previous I-20.

All documents should be sent to the Office of Graduate Admission at:

DePaul University
Office of Graduate Admission
College of Science and Health
2400 N. Sheffield Ave.
Chicago, IL 60614 USA.

Please note: You will receive an email from the office of graduate admission listing the next steps to take and the specific documents you will need to submit in order to obtain your I-20 or DS-2019.

For more information on immigration status and to obtain the financial affidavit form please visit the International Programs website

2. Review International Student and Scholar Services pre-arrival information
International Student and Scholar Services (ISS) pre-arrival information provides important preparation details for your arrival in the U.S. It contains information about the ISS, obtaining your visa, orientation (mandatory), course registration, financial matters, housing, and immunization requirements. Please be sure to read the entire document.

For information on tuition and payment plan options, please visit the Office of Financial Aid website.

3. Report to International Student and Scholar Services upon arrival
All international students in F-1 and J-1 visa status who are new to DePaul University are required to report to International Student and Scholar Services (ISS) upon arrival in the U.S. Please visit the ISS website for specific instructions and documents required for check-in.

Please note: International students will not be eligible to register for classes until they have checked in with DePaul's International Student and Scholar Services (ISS) upon arrival in the U.S.

4. Log in to Campus Connect

You can find your Campus Connect user ID and initial password in your admission letter. If you have misplaced or discarded that letter, you can also obtain your user ID and password by contacting the Technology Support Center at (312) 362-8765. Obtaining your user ID and password is the first step in registering for classes and accessing information and resources made available to admitted students through DePaul's Campus Connect. You may also obtain your user ID and password by visiting one of  DePaul's ID Card Services Offices locations.

5. Attend International Student Orientation
International Student and Scholar Services (ISS) will host a new student orientation that covers important information regarding your F-1 and/or J-1 non-immigrant student visa status especially as it relates to the Student and Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS).

If you have been issued a SEVIS I-20 Form and/or a SEVIS DS-2019 Form, you must attend the ISS new student orientation. The ISS orientation is mandatory for all international students who are new to DePaul University (this includes students transferring from another U.S. university). Remember that this orientation is different and separate from the orientation you may be required to attend by your academic department. For additional information or to register for ISS new student orientation, please click here.

6. Participate in Program Orientation Session and Academic Advising
In addition to the mandatory International Student and Scholar Services (ISS) orientation, many academic departments also require new graduate students to attend a program specific orientation session. 

Orientation sessions are usually held in the fall, although some programs will offer orientation sessions at different times throughout the academic year. An invitation to orientation will be sent to you via email, and information can also be found on the College of Science and Health website once it becomes available.

Degree-seeking students should also consult their admission packet or program website for information on course selection and sequence. If this information was not included, students should contact their department's graduate program director or the Office of Graduate Admission at (773) 325-7315 or for assistance.

7. Obtain DePaul ID Card, Email Account and U-Pass
After you have registered for classes, you may obtain a photo ID card and DePaul email account. The ID card functions as a library card and is required for entry into some buildings and computer labs. To obtain your ID card, you will need to visit one of the ID Card Services Offices locations.

All students are provided a free DePaul email account. Accounts can be created and accessed at

Students who are enrolled full-time may be eligible for a U-Pass, which greatly reduces the cost of rides on the CTA. All eligible students are automatically enrolled in the program and are responsible for picking up the U-Pass and paying the CTA fee. Eligibility is determined based on your academic program, credit hours, and course locations as it appears on your registration. For more information, please visit the U-Pass website at

8. Only for International applicants with degrees in progress when admitted:
If you were admitted to a program before completing your undergraduate degree, you will need to send final transcripts documenting completion and conferral of your bachelor's degree to the credit evaluation company you used for the initial credit evaluation. The evaluation company will send us a final evaluation with copies of your transcripts that we will accept as official. Please do not send official final transcripts to the Office of Graduate Admission.

Questions about your admission?
Please contact the Office of Graduate Admission at or by phone at (773) 325-7315.