College of Science and Health > Academics > Biological Sciences > Student Resources > FAQ

Frequently Asked Questions

You are required to declare a major before your junior year. However, in biology it is strongly recommended that you declare your major as soon as possible. One reason is that a large number of introductory course are required to complete a biology degree. If you do not take introductory classes right away, it may take longer than four years to finish. When you declare your biology major, you will be assigned an advisor who can help you with course scheduling.
You can declare a biology major or minor at any time by following this path on Campus Connect: Campus Connect > Main Menu > Self Service > Academic Planning > Change College, Major, or Minor
The number of careers that involve biology is enormous. Consult our list of "50 Things to Do with a Biology Degree," to see just a few of them. You can also browse our Professions in Biology page, with helpful links to many professional organizations.
A student wishing to minor in biology must take six courses designed primarily for the major. Three of these courses are Bio 191, 192, 193, the traditional first-year introductory sequence. The other three courses are biology electives designed for biology majors or minors. See the undergraduate Course Catalog to learn more.
The College of Science and Health maintains a list of schools and courses which qualify for transfer credits. You can view them here.
  • If you have a question related to our departmental policies or courses, contact CSH Academic Advisor Lauren Paez,
  • For general curricular or contact information for our department, check out our Student Guide: Biological Sciences Guide

  • If you have a question related to the College of Science and Health (CSH), please visit the CSH website.