College of Science and Health > Academics > Pre-Health Program > Accelerated Degree Option > Physical Therapy FAQ

Physical Therapy FAQ

Am I guaranteed admission to the Rosalind Franklin University of Medicine and Science College of Health Professions?

​​​​​No, this is a competitive program and there is no guarantee of admission. However, if you apply through the pre-physical therapy advisor your application will receive priority screening.​​

Who is the DePaul pre-Physical Therapy advisor for this program? Is this the same person as DePaul’s pre-health advisor? What do I need to do to be a viable applicant for early admission to the College of Health Professions?

​​​​​The advisor for accelerated programs is Dr. Phillip Funk. The pre-health advisor is also a critical resource for this program. It is strongly advised that you meet with either of them as soon as possible to map out a course plan. You must have completed at least 96 credit hours prior to your application, including the complete CHE 130 sequence, the complete Physics 150 sequence, the complete BIO 190 sequence, and all first year program courses. The advisors will look through your academic record to make sure you are ready to apply to the College of Health Professions.​​

What is the application process?

​​​​​The Physical Therapy school application process is called PTCAS. Complete the application online, including your GRE scores, transcripts, and letters of recommendation. You must work with DePaul’s Pre-Health Advising Committee (PAC). Register with PAC and state your intention of utilizing the Accelerated 3+option for physical therapy. You will need to notify them by the winter of your second year at DePaul in order to participate in the committee letter process. An interview with Dr. Funk and the pre-health staff advisor is required before you start the PAC committee letter of recommendation process to ensure that you have completed sufficient DePaul requirements and have a plan to complete all DePaul specific coursework.​​​

When is the GRE (Graduate Record Exam) offered?

​​​​​The GRE is offered several times during the year. Visit the GRE website for the most up to date information. You should also think about taking a GRE review course to prepare for the exam. The GRE scores are required for review of your application, so you should plan on taking the GRE in the spring or early summer of the year in which you are applying. ​​

What coursework will prepare me for the GRE?

​​​​​The GRE covers Verbal Reasoning, Quantitative Reasoning, and Analytical Writing rather than specific course content.​​

How do I know if a career in Physical Therapy is for me?

​​​​​The HLTH 120 course “Careers in HealthCare” and the HLTH 201 course can help you begin to understand the roles of various health care professionals. You will want to register for the Pre-He​alth Program​ at DePaul. By doing so, you will be invited to pre-health events through the year, including visits by Rosalind Franklin’s College of Health Professions faculty. Join a student organization, like the pre-med club or pre-health career community, to help you to network with students who have similar interests as your own.​​

What happens if I don’t get accepted into the College of Health Professions at RFUMS?

​​​​​If you are not accepted for early admission you are still a DePaul student and should complete your bachelor’s degree at DePaul. You can consider reapplying or taking any other direction you might choose. Unsuccessful applicants are encouraged to seek an exit interview with the College of Health Professions at RFUMS to discuss how they might make a stronger application.​​

What happens if I enter the College of Health Professions but decide to leave before completing my first year of coursework there?

​​​​​You may return to DePaul to complete your bachelor’s degree. Any courses completed at Rosalind Franklin University will be counted toward your degree.​​

After I finish my fourth year of coursework, do I automatically graduate from DePaul without notifying anyone? May I still walk at DePaul’s Commencement ceremony?

​​​​​No, you must apply for degree conferral via Campus Connection in anticipation of the quarter when you plan to finish your BS degree. Yes, after your fourth year you may still walk at DePaul’s Commencement ceremony.​​