Specialization and Interests
- Nursing science
- Women's health
- Public health
- Health policy
- Critical social and feminist theory and practice
- Emancipatory nursing
- Health disparities
- Media images of nurses
- Documentary filmmaking
Awards and Honors
- University of British Columbia School of Nursing Centenary Medal of Distinction (2019)
- DePaul University Via Sapientiae Award (2019)
- American Journal of Nursing (AJN) Book of the Year Award 2015
Philosophies and Practices of Emancipatory Nursing: Social Justice as Praxis
Kagan, PN, Smith, MC, and Chinn, PL
- Two categories: History/Public Policy and Professional Issues
- Op-Ed Fellow - The Op-Ed Project Public Voices Fellowship 2014
- DePaul Humanities Center Fellow 2008-2009
- Illinois Board of Higher Education Nurse Faculty Fellowship Award 2008
- Affiliate Faculty Women's and Gender Studies
- Interim Chair AY 2014-2015
- College of Science and Health Personnel Committee
- DePaul University Institutional Review Board
- Health Sciences Department Council
- Master of Public Health Program Advisory Board
- DePaul Taskforce on Drugs and Alcohol
- American Nurses Association
- Sigma Theta Tau
Kagan, PN, Smith, MC, and Chinn, PL, Eds. Philosophies and Practices of Emancipatory Nursing: Social Justice as Praxis. Routledge Taylor Francis Publishers. 2014. 343 pages. http://www.routledge.com/books/details/9780415659536/
Pater, P., Shattell, M., & Kagan, P. (2015). Video games as nursing interventions. Issues in Mental Health Nursing, 36(2), 156-160.
Kagan, P. N. (2014). Innovation in nursing: Only radical change will do. Advances in Nursing Science. pp. 268-270.
Kagan, P. N. (2011). Catastrophe and response: Expanding the notion of self to mobilize nurses’ attention to policy and activism. Nursing Science Quarterly, 24, pp. 71-78.
Kagan, P.N., Smith, M. C., Cowling, W.R.,
& Chinn, P.L. (2010). A nursing manifesto: An emancipatory call for
knowledge development, conscience and praxis. Nursing Philosophy. 11, pp. 67-84.
Kagan, P. N. & Chinn, P.L. (2010). We’re all here for the good of the patient: A dialogue on power. Nursing Science Quarterly. 23, pp. 41-46.
Kagan, P.N. (2009). Historical voices of
resistance: Crossing boundaries to praxis through documentary filmmaking
for the public. Advances in Nursing Science. 32 (1), pp. 19-32.