- Introduction to Environmental Science (ENV 101)
- Cities and the Environment (ENV 200)
- Earth System Science (ENV 216)
- Global Climate Change (ENV 230)
- Chemistry of Earth Systems (ENV 316)
I study interactions between the terrestrial biosphere and the atmosphere. For one area of focus, I study how biogenic volatile organic compound (BVOC) emissions from plants affect atmospheric chemistry and how climate change will impact this interaction in the future. I also employ low-cost, high-altitude balloon systems to measure the carbon dioxide exchange over agricultural regions in Illinois. Another area of interest is the use of low-cost, wearable air quality sensors for citizen science.
To see Dr. Potosnak's research, follow this link: Potosnaklab
- Bouche, A., Beck-Winchatz, B., Potosnak, M.J., 2016. A high-altitude balloon platform for determining exchange of carbon dioxide over agricultural landscapes. Atmospheric Measurement Technology, 9: 5707-5719.
- Conry, P., A. Sharma, M.J. Potosnak, L.S. Leo, E. Bensman, J.J. Hellmann and H.J.S. Fernando. 2015. Chicago’s Heat Island and Climate Change: Bridging the Scales via Dynamical Downscaling. Journal of Applied Meteorology and Climatology, 54: 1430–1448.
- Potosnak, M.J., L. LestrougeonU and O. NunezU. 2014. Increasing leaf temperature reduces the suppression of isoprene emission by elevated CO2 concentration. Science of the Total Environment, 481: 352–359.
- Potosnak, M.J., L. LeStourgeonU, S.G. Pallardy, K.P. Hosman, L. Gu, T. Karl, C. Geron and A.B. Guenther. 2014. Observed and modeled ecosystem isoprene fluxes from an oak-dominated temperate forest and the influence of drought stress. Atmospheric Environment, 84: 314–322
- Potosnak, M.J. 2014. Commentary: Including the interactive effect of elevated CO2 concentration and leaf temperature in global models of isoprene emission. Plant, Cell & Environment, 37:1723–1726.
M.J., L. LeStourgeon, S.G. Pallardy, K.P. Hosman, L. Gu, T. Karl, C.
Geron, A.B. Guenther. 2014. Observed and modeled ecosystem isoprene
fluxes from an oak-dominated temperate forest and the influence of
drought stress. Atmospheric Environment, 84: 314–322.
- Unger N., K.
Harper, Y. Zheng, N.Y. Kiang, I. Aleinov, A. Arneth, G. Schurgers, C.
Amelynck, A. Goldstein, A. Guenther, B. Heinesch, C.N. Hewitt, T. Karl,
Q. Laffineur, B. Langford, K. A. McKinney, P. Misztal, M. Potosnak, J.
Rinne, S. Pressley, N. Schoon and D. Serça. 2013.
Photosynthesis-dependent isoprene emission from leaf to planet in a
global carbon-chemistry-climate model. Atmospheric Chemistry and
Physics, 13: 10243–10269.
- Pacifico, F., S. P.
Harrison, C. D. Jones, A. Arneth, S. Sitch, G. P. Weedon, M. P.
Barkley, P. I. Palmer, D. Serça, M. Potosnak, T.-M. Fu, A. Goldstein, J.
Bai and G. Schurgers. 2011. Evaluation of a photosynthesis-based
biogenic isoprene emission scheme in JULES and simulation of isoprene
emissions under present-day climate conditions. Atmospheric Chemistry
and Physics, 11: 4371–4389.
- Rastetter, E.B., M.
Williams, K.L. Griffin, B.L. Kwiatkowski, G.Tomasky, M.J. Potosnak,
P.C. Stoy, G.R. Shaver, M. Stieglitz, J.E. Hobbie and G.W. Kling. 2010.
Processing arctic eddy-flux data using a simple carbon-exchange model
embedded in the ensemble Kalman filter. Ecological Applications, 20 (5):
- Papiez, M.R.,
M.J. Potosnak, W.S. Goliff, A.B. Guenter, S.N. Matsunaga and W.R.
Stockell. 2009. The impacts of reactive terpene emissions from plants on
air quality in Las Vegas, Nevada. Atmospheric Environment, 43:
- Pegoraro, E., M.J. Potosnak, R.K. Monson, A. Rey, G. Barron-Gafford
and C.B. Osmond. 2007. The effect of elevated CO2, soil and
atmospheric water deficit and seasonal phenology on leaf and ecosystem
isoprene emission. Functional Plant Biology, 34 (9): 774-784.
- Selected to be a member of the Scientific Inquiry Domain committee (2012–present)
- Selected by the
university president to be the University representative for the Udall
Foundation’s national scholarship competition (2010–present)
- Served as a Catholic Climate Change Ambassador for the Catholic Coalition on Climate Change (2010–present)
Professional Society Memberships
- American Geophysical Union
- American Meteorological Society
- Sigma Xi