- Introduction to Environmental Science (ENV 101)
- Cities and the Environment (ENV 200)
- Earth System Science (ENV 216)
- Global Climate Change (ENV 230)
- Chemistry of Earth Systems (ENV 316)
The common theme of Mark Potosnak's research is using field observations to
understand the complex interactions between the terrestrial biosphere
and the atmosphere. In particular, he designs field experiments that test
hypotheses of how isoprene emissions are impacted by global change
factors. Recent studies have been conducted in tropical, urban/arid,
and tundra ecosystems. These ecosystems are all understudied and also
more susceptible to global change factors. For example, unlike the
deciduous forests characteristic of temperate ecosystems, there have
been few studies on the seasonal controls of isoprene emissions for
evergreen and drought deciduous tropical ecosystems. Potosnak's studies reveal a
strong seasonality of emissions that cannot be explained solely by
changes in ambient temperature and light. Preliminary research in tundra
ecosystems has revealed surprisingly high isoprene emission rates and
the potential for rapid increases inducted by climate change. Finally, a
recent project focused on land use change in a rapidly expanding urban
area of the arid southwestern United States and was published in
To see Dr. Potosnak's research, follow this link: Potosnaklab
- Potosnak, M.J., L. LestrougeonU and O. NunezU. 2014. Increasing leaf temperature reduces the suppression of isoprene emission by elevated CO2 concentration. Science of the Total Environment, 481: 352–359.
- Potosnak, M.J., L. LeStourgeonU, S.G. Pallardy, K.P. Hosman, L. Gu, T. Karl, C. Geron and A.B. Guenther. 2014. Observed and modeled ecosystem isoprene fluxes from an oak-dominated temperate forest and the influence of drought stress. Atmospheric Environment, 84: 314–322
- Potosnak, M.J. 2014. Commentary: Including the interactive effect of elevated CO2 concentration and leaf temperature in global models of isoprene emission. Plant, Cell & Environment, 37:1723–1726.
M.J., L. LeStourgeon, S.G. Pallardy, K.P. Hosman, L. Gu, T. Karl, C.
Geron, A.B. Guenther. 2014. Observed and modeled ecosystem isoprene
fluxes from an oak-dominated temperate forest and the influence of
drought stress. Atmospheric Environment, 84: 314–322.
- Unger N., K.
Harper, Y. Zheng, N.Y. Kiang, I. Aleinov, A. Arneth, G. Schurgers, C.
Amelynck, A. Goldstein, A. Guenther, B. Heinesch, C.N. Hewitt, T. Karl,
Q. Laffineur, B. Langford, K. A. McKinney, P. Misztal, M. Potosnak, J.
Rinne, S. Pressley, N. Schoon and D. Serça. 2013.
Photosynthesis-dependent isoprene emission from leaf to planet in a
global carbon-chemistry-climate model. Atmospheric Chemistry and
Physics, 13: 10243–10269.
- Pacifico, F., S. P.
Harrison, C. D. Jones, A. Arneth, S. Sitch, G. P. Weedon, M. P.
Barkley, P. I. Palmer, D. Serça, M. Potosnak, T.-M. Fu, A. Goldstein, J.
Bai and G. Schurgers. 2011. Evaluation of a photosynthesis-based
biogenic isoprene emission scheme in JULES and simulation of isoprene
emissions under present-day climate conditions. Atmospheric Chemistry
and Physics, 11: 4371–4389.
- Rastetter, E.B., M.
Williams, K.L. Griffin, B.L. Kwiatkowski, G.Tomasky, M.J. Potosnak,
P.C. Stoy, G.R. Shaver, M. Stieglitz, J.E. Hobbie and G.W. Kling. 2010.
Processing arctic eddy-flux data using a simple carbon-exchange model
embedded in the ensemble Kalman filter. Ecological Applications, 20 (5):
- Papiez, M.R.,
M.J. Potosnak, W.S. Goliff, A.B. Guenter, S.N. Matsunaga and W.R.
Stockell. 2009. The impacts of reactive terpene emissions from plants on
air quality in Las Vegas, Nevada. Atmospheric Environment, 43:
- Pegoraro, E., M.J. Potosnak, R.K. Monson, A. Rey, G. Barron-Gafford
and C.B. Osmond. 2007. The effect of elevated CO2, soil and
atmospheric water deficit and seasonal phenology on leaf and ecosystem
isoprene emission. Functional Plant Biology, 34 (9): 774-784.
- Selected to be a member of the Scientific Inquiry Domain committee (2012–present)
- Selected by the
university president to be the University representative for the Udall
Foundation’s national scholarship competition (2010–present)
- Served as a Catholic Climate Change Ambassador for the Catholic Coalition on Climate Change (2010–present)
Professional Society Memberships
- American Geophysical Union
- American Meteorological Society
- Sigma Xi