- Spinal cord injury
- Multiple sclerosis
- Immunological mechanisms of fatigue and disease progression in those with multiple sclerosis
- Physiological stress and coping
Awards and Honors
- Featured in Ordinary People, Extraordinary Lives: The Stories of Nurses (2003)
- Sigma Theta Tau
- Senior Disability Ethics Scholar, Rehabilitation Institute of Chicago
- Excellence in Public Service Award, DePaul University
- Co-Chair, Committee on Curriculum and Programs, University Level Committee
- Science as a Way of Knowing Committee, University Level Committee
- American Academy of Nurse Practitioners (AANP)
- American Nurses Association (ANA)
- Academy of Spinal Cord Injury Professionals (ASCIP)
- American Spinal Injury Association (ASIA)
- Association of Rehabilitation Nurses (ARN)
- Illinois Association of Advanced Practice Nurses (ISAPN)
- International Organization of Multiple Sclerosis Nurses (IOMSN)
- Psychoneuroimmunology Research Society (PNIRS)
Newland, P., Starkweather, A., & Sorenson, M. (2016). Central Fatigue in Multiple Sclerosis - A Review of the Literature. Journal of Spinal Cord Medicine, 5, 1-14. DOI:10.1080/10790268.2016.1168587
Jones, A., Palu, M., Sorenson, M., & Rajah, T. (2015). Effects of Genistein on Cytokine Expression in Healthy Women. International Archives of Microbiology and Immunobiology, 1(1), 8-15.
Kubow, S., Sorenson, M., Alkazemi, D., Roberts II, L.J., Adamski, K.N., & Jason, L.A. (2015). Novel associations of F2-Isoprostanes, F3-Isoprostanes and Isofurans in older adults with chronic fatigue syndrome: An exploratory study. Clinical Research: Open Access. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.16966/clroa.103
Sorenson, M., Jason, L., Peterson, J., Herrington, J., & Mathews, H. (2014). Brain Derived Neurotrophic Factor is Decreased in Chronic Fatigue Syndrome and Multiple Sclerosis. Journal of Neurology and Neurophysiology, S12:013, http://dx.doi.org/10.4172/2155-9562.S12-013
Sorenson, M., Witek-Janusek, L., & Mathews, H. (2013). Psychological stress and Cytokine Production in Multiple Sclerosis: Correlation with Disease Symptomatology. Biological Research for Nursing, 15, 224-231.
Sorenson, M., Jason, L., Lerch, A., Porter, N., Peterson, J., Herrington, J., & Mathews, H. (2012). The production of Interluekin-8 is increased in the Peripheral Blood Mononuclear Cells of Patients with Fatigue. Neuroscience and Medicine, 3(1), 47-53.
Jason, LA., Sorenson, M., Roberts, J., Sebally, J. K., Alkazemi, D., & Kubow, S. (2011). Increased HDAC in association with decreased plasma cortisol in older adults with chronic fatigue syndrome. Brain, Behavior and Immunity, 25, 1544-1547.