Specialization and Interests
- Cardiac device utilization and management
- Cardiovascular risk assessment and reduction in vulnerable/underserved populations; past focus on Mexican Americans
- Community capacity building to improve social and physical health determinants of cardiovascular health and disease
- Community engagement and community-based service learning pedagogy
- Research Methods: Qualitative and Quantitative
Awards and Honors
- 2011: CVD Prevention Graduation Award, Preventive Cardiology Nurses Association
- 2007: Community Stewards Fellowship Loyola University Chicago
- 2007: Alpha Sigma Nu Jesuit Honor Society, Loyola University Chicago
- 2007: Outstanding Faculty Manuscript Award Western Journal of Nursing Research, Midwest Nursing Research Society
- 2007: Sigma Theta Tau (Iota) Nursing Honor Society, Loyola University Chicago
- 2006-2007: Albert Schweitzer Fellowship Chicago
- 1991: Sigma Theta Tau (Alpha Beta) Nursing Honor Society, Vanderbilt University
- Randomized trial of magnet vs programmer suspended therapies; A prospective multi-center randomized study (2011-2012: $180,000)
- DePaul Public Service Council, Community-based Service Learning in the MENP Program. (Funded 2015, $5,000)
- Medtronic, Inc., Boston Scientific, ICD ON Registry. (Funded 2013, $157,333)
- Coordinator of Community Engagement, School of Nursing, MENP Program
- American Heart Association
- President-elect, Chicago Board 2014 –current
- Member, Chicago Board of Directors
- Executive Leadership Team, Heart Walk, Innovation Forum
- Member, Illinois, Advocacy Committee
- Member, National Connected Heart Initiative, Cardiovascular Nursing Council
- Midwest Nursing Research Society
- Catholic Charities for the Archdiocese of Chicago
- Member, Board of Advisors, Latino Advisory Committee, Health Council
- Preventive Cardiology Nurses’ Association
- Sigma Theta Tau Honor Society of Nursing
- Albert Schweitzer Fellow for Life
- Heart Failure Society of American
- American Association of Heart Failure Nurses
- Rauner YMCA Board Member
Moser, D and Riegel, B (Eds): Improving Outcomes in Heart Failure: An Interdisciplinary Approach. Wilson JR, Chomsky DB, Dahle KL Exercise in Heart Failure. Gaithersburg: Aspen Publishers, 2001.
Larimer, K., Durmus, J., Flores, E. (2015). Experiences of Young Adults with Pacemakers and/or ICDs. Journal of Cardiovascular Nursing. 2015. DOI: 10.1097/JCN.0000000000000280
Gifford, J, Larimer, K, Thomas, C, May, P, Stanhope, S, Gami, A.
Randomized Controlled Trial of Perioperative ICD Management: Magnet
Application versus Reprogramming. Pacing and Clinical Electrophysiology. 2014.doi: 10.1111/pace.12417
H., Penckofer, S. Larimer, K. Absence of Chest Pain during Acute
Coronary Syndromes is Associated with Diabetes and Older Age. Western Journal of Nursing Research. 2008; 30: 130-144.
JR, Smith JS, Dahle KL, Ingersoll GL. Impact of Home Health Care Costs
and Hospitalization Frequency in Patients with Heart Failure. The American Journal of Cardiology. 1999;83: 615-617.
KL, Smith J, Ingersoll GL, Wilson JR. Management of Patients with
Heart Failure by a Nurse Practitioner; Impact on Hospital Costs. The American Journal of Cardiology. 1998;82: 686-688.
Gifford, J. (Author & Presenter), Thomas, C. (Author), Larimer, K. A. (Author), Heart Rythm
Society Annual Scientific Sessions, "Effects of Electrosurgery on Subcutaneous ICD," Heart
Rhythm Society, Boston MA. (May 2015).
Gifford, J. (Author & Presenter), Larimer, K. A. (Author), Heart Rythm Society Annual Scientific
Sessions, "ICD-ON Protocol: Perioperative management of Cardiac Implanted Electronic
Devices.," Heart Rhythm Society, Boston MA. (May 2015).
Gifford J., Larimer K., Thomas C., May P., Stanhope S., Gami A.
Randomized controlled trial of magnet application vs reprogramming for
perioperative ICD management – preliminary results. Accepted for oral
presentation to Heart Rhythm 2013 Scientific Session, May 2013.
K., Gulanick, M., Hackbarth, D., Penckofer, S. CVD Risk in a Mexican
Community of Chicago: Beliefs, Prevalence and Environment. Accepted at
St. Albert’s Day, Loyola University Chicago, Stritch School of
Medicine, October, 2011.
Penckofer, S., Larimer, K., Ferrans,
C., Lustman, P. Study of Women’s Emotions & Evaluation of a
Psychoeduational Program. Loyola University School of Nursing, Ruth K.
Palmer Research Symposium. Stritch School of Medicine, Loyola
University Medical Center, March 15, 2007.