Specialization and Interests:
- Maternal child health promotion/disease prevention
- Food Insecurity & Nutrition
- Public health programming (WIC)
- Preconception, prenatal, & interconception health
- Health disparities
- The built environment
- Life course approach
Research Methods Areas of Expertise:
- Quantitative Systems-level Secondary Analysis
- Global Positioning(GPS) Data Collection
- Qualitative Interviewing
- Survey Development
- Focus Group Methodology
Awards and Honors:
- Sigma Theta Tau International Honors Society
- Doctoral Studies Committee, School of Nursing
- DNP Admissions Committee, School of Nursing
- Curriculum Committee, School of Nursing
- Research Core Task Force, School of Nursing
- American Public Health Association
- Midwest Nursing Research Society
- Alliance of Nurses for a Healthy Environment
- National Association of Catholic Nurses
- The International Catholic Committee of Nurses and Medico-Social Assistants
Current Research Funding:
- Project Title: WIC Professionals’ knowledge and perspective of variations in Household Food Insecurity and WIC Participation rates among Hispanic and Foreign-born populations.
- Funder: DePaul University, University Research Council, Competitive Research Grant
- Active: January 2017-June 2018
Select Presentations and Publications:
Simonovich, S.D. (In Press). The value of developing a mixed methods program of research. Nursing Science Quarterly.
Simonovich, S.D., Bekemeier, B., Johnson, D.B., Herting, J. (2016). Examining the impact of the Great Recession and US population demographics on the longitudinal relationship between food insecurity and WIC participation. Midwest Nursing Research Society, Milwaukee, WI, March 2016.
Simonovich, S.D., Bekemeier, B., Johnson, D.B., Herting, J. (2014). Exploring the association between state-level WIC coverage and household food security: Demographic and geographic patterns. American Public Health Association Annual Meeting, New Orleans, LA, November 2014.
Huang, D.L., Rosenberg, D.E., Simonovich S.D., Belza, B. (2012). Food access patterns and barriers among midlife and older adults with mobility disabilities. Journal of Aging Research, doi:10.1155/2012/231489.
Rosenberg, D.E., Huang, D.L., Simonovich, S.D., Belza, B. (2012). Outdoor built environment barriers and facilitators to activity among midlife and older adults with mobility disabilities. The Gerontologist. doi: 10.1093/geront/gns119.