To request an externship experience at the School of Nursing, the following process must be completed. It is the responsibility of the externship student and/or externship coordinator to initiate this request and to submit all required materials. Externship students are encouraged to complete this process early
to ensure that all steps can be completed in time.
Step 1: Confirm Appropriateness of Externship with the Coordinator of Externships
The externship student or his/her externship coordinator must contact the Coordinator of Externships at the DePaul University School of Nursing to confirm the following:
- The DePaul University School of Nursing would be an appropriate setting for the learning goals/activities defined.
- There exists an active faculty member within the DePaul University School of Nursing who would be an appropriate and willing supervisor for the learning goals/activities defined.
- The externship request has been initiated early enough to allow completion of all steps in this procedure.
Step 2: Submit Required Documentation
The externship student and/or externship coordinator must submit the following documentation to firstname.lastname@example.org
in order to be cleared to begin externship activities. The submitter will be notified of receipt. Documentation can be submitted in part, but it is the externship student’s responsibility to ensure all materials are submitted.
- Externship Request Form
- Resume or CV of the externship student
- Resume or CV of the externship instructor
- Letter of attestation that externship student meets our health requirements, signed by externship coordinator
- Agreement to abide by the policies in the Externship Handbook (last page of externship handbook), signed by externship student
- Proof of training in DePaul’s Bloodborne Pathogens Exposure Control Plan
DePaul University will review the request to determine whether or not a current and inclusive affiliation agreement exists between the DePaul University School of Nursing and the external organization named in the Externship Request Form. If no affiliation agreement exists, DePaul University will coordinate the development of an agreement between the legal counsel of DePaul University and that of the external organization. This will take time.
Should the external organization agree to a standard affiliation agreement, the process may take as little as one month. The upper bound can be as much as six months. Externship students are encouraged to submit requests early. Externship students can query whether or not an affiliation agreement already exists by contacting email@example.com
at any time.
Step 3: Await Clearance
The student may not begin any externship activities until such time as full clearance has been granted by the DePaul University School of Nursing. Once an affiliation agreement between DePaul University and the external organization is confirmed, and once all documentation in step 2 is submitted, access to DePaul systems will be requested for the exact start and end dates provided in the Externship Request Form. All appropriate parties will be notified of clearance to begin the externship.
Coordinator of Externship Placements
Christina M. Lattner, DNP Ed., APRN, AGNP-C, ANP-BC
Assistant Clinical Professor
990 W. Fullerton Ave., Suite room 3006