Specialization and Interests
- Mental health of vulnerable populations
- Therapeutic relationships
- Acute care psychiatric environments
- Alternative psychiatric treatment environments
- Long-haul truckers
- Qualitative research methods
- Psychosis and unusual experiences
Awards and Honors
- Fellow, American Academy of Nursing
- Member Scholar, International Institute of Qualitative Research Methodology, University of Alberta, Alberta, Canada utstanding Alumni Award, University of Tennessee at Knoxville, College of Nursing
- Outstanding Alumni Award, University of Tennessee at Knoxville, College of Nursing
- Women of Spirit and Action” Honoree, DePaul University
- Chair, DePaul School of Nursing Governance and Policy Committee
- Co-Chair, Status of the Faculty Committee (Faculty Council Committee)
- Alternate, Faculty Council
- Member, Women’s and Gender Studies Program Advisory Committee
- Member, College of Science and Health Research and Faculty Development Committee
- Associate Editor, Issues in Mental Health Nursing
- International Academy of Nursing Editors
- American Psychiatric Nurses Association
- Sigma Theta Tau International
- Midwest Nursing Research Society
Y., Sönmez, S., Shattell, M., & Kronenfeld, J. (2012, July). Sex
work in trucking milieux: ‘Lot lizards,’ truckers, and risk. Nursing Forum, 47
Shattell, M., Apostolopoulos, Y., Collins, C., Sönmez, S., &
Fehrenbacher, C. (2012, July). Trucking organization and mental health
disorders of truck drivers. Issues in Mental Health Nursing, 33(7), 436-444.
Shattell, M., Donnelly, N., Scheyett, A., & Cuddeback, G.
(2011). Assertive community treatment and the physical health needs of
persons with severe mental illness: Issues around integration of mental
health and physical health. Journal of the American Psychiatric Nurses Association 17(1), 57-63.
Y., Sönmez, S., Shattell, M., Rothenberg, R., Weitz, R., & Smith,
J. (2010). Infection risk along U.S. highways? The case of a
‘truckchaser’ cruising for truckers. International Journal of Sexual Health, 22(4), 262-271.
M., Apostolopoulos, Y., Sönmez, S., & Griffin, M. (2010).
Occupational stressors and the mental health of truckers. Issues in Mental Health Nursing, 31(9), 561-568.
M., Chinn, P., Thomas, S., & Cowling, W.R. (2010). Authors’ and
editors’ perspectives on peer review quality in three scholarly nursing
journals. Journal of Nursing Scholarship, 42(1), 58-65.
M., Quinlan-Colwell, A., Villalba, J., Ivers, N., & Mails, M.
(2010). A cognitive behavioral group therapy intervention with depressed
Spanish-speaking Mexican women living in an emerging immigrant
community in the United States. Advances in Nursing Science, 33(2), 158-169.
M., Villalba, J., Stokes, N., Hamilton, D., Foster, J., Petrini, H.,
Johnson, K., Hinderliter, N., Witherspoon, C., Hinshaw, R.K., &
Faulkner, C. (2009). Depression in Latinas residing in emerging Latino
immigrant communities in the United States. Hispanic Health Care International, 7(4), 190-202.
Gaillard, L., Shattell, M., & Thomas, S. (2009). Mental health patients’ experiences of being misunderstood. Journal of the American Psychiatric Nurses Association, 15(3), 191-199.