The fall 2014 application deadline for the DNP adult nurse practitioner, family nurse practitioner, and the DNP completion tracks is May 1, 2014. Please note that only post-master’s students (master’s entry RNs and current certified adult nurse practitioners, family nurse practitioners and nurse anesthetists) are eligible for the fall 2014 cohort.
DNP applicants have the option of applying through DePaul’s online application
or through NursingCAS
, the online, centralized application service for nursing programs nationwide. Instructions for both options are listed below.
Attention Nurse Anesthesia Applicants:
Please note that the nurse anesthesia program is offered jointly with NorthShore University Health System’s School of Nurse Anesthesia. Students applying to the nurse anesthesia program should follow NorthShore’s application instructions and admission deadlines. For details on admission requirements and deadlines, please visit the NorthShore website
. The next available entry term for the nurse anesthesia program is fall 2015.
- Online application or NursingCAS application
- Master’s degree in nursing.
- Current and unrestricted Registered Nurse licensure in the State of Illinois.
- Two thousand hours of current work experience within the last two years required for nurse practitioner track prior to beginning clinical practicum. Two years full time ICU experience prior to matriculation required for nurse anesthesia tract.
- Graduate Record Examinations (GRE) score within the last 5 years is required for all nurse anesthesia applicants, BSN-prepared applicants to the nurse practitioner tracks and for post-master's applicants to the nurse practitioner tracks with a GPA less than 3.5 on a 4.0 scale. (The first term to which BSN-prepared nurses will be admitted to the nurse practitioner tracks of the DNP will be fall 2015.)
- TOEFL score of 590 (PBT) or 96 (iBT) or above if the applicant’s primary language is not English. In addition, the applicant will be required to demonstrate equivalent proficiency by an on-campus written essay, evaluated by the Admissions Committee.
- Two letters of recommendation, with one letter of recommendation from the student’s direct supervisor at his/her current place of employment.
- Personal interview with a minimum of two faculty members will be scheduled after the application file is complete.
- Personal statement 2 - 3 pages in length showing fit with school mission and program. The personal statement will also include a description of the reason for pursuing the DNP, the applicant’s short-term and long-term professional goals, the applicant’s current area of nursing practice, an aggregate population that is of interest, and possible ideas for the DNP cumulative project (Scholarly Leadership Project).
- Curriculum Vitae (CV) highlighting past education, clinical experience, scholarly endeavors and professional and community activity.
- Official transcripts of all previous college work.
- Pre-requisites: Nurse Anesthesia: Organic Chemistry completed within last five years. Nurse Practitioner: Two courses of chemistry (inorganic and organic) with lab within the last five years for all applicants except certified advanced practice nurses.
The School of Nursing has the option to waive admission requirements.
Registered Nurses with a Masters in Nursing or a MSN may receive up to 12 credit hours of transfer credit for prior education, with individual review of all transcripts. In addition, applicants with current certification as an Advanced Practice Nurse from an accredited program, and current licensure as an Advanced Practice Nurse in their state of residence will receive advanced placement in the program.
Applicants holding an MS degree in Nursing or MSN degree without certification as an Advanced Practice Nurse will be required to hold current licensure as a Registered Nurse in the State of Illinois prior to the first day of classes. Applicants holding an MS degree in Nursing or MSN degree with certification as an Advanced Practice Nurse will be required to hold current licensure as a Registered Nurse and as an Advanced Practice Nurse in the State of Illinois, and current certification from a national certifying body (e.g. American Association of Nurse Anesthetists, American Association of Nurse Practitioners, American Nurses Credentialing Center) in their area of specialty area of practice prior to the first day of classes.
Applying Directly to DePaul
- Submit the DePaul online application at www.depaul.edu/apply
- Submit your two letters of recommendation, personal statement, curriculum vitae (CV) by email to firstname.lastname@example.org or through the online application.
- Pay the $40 application fee through the online application or mail a check made out to DePaul University to the Office of Graduate Admission at the address below.
- Send official transcripts from all colleges and universities attended to the Office of Graduate Admission at the address below. (Colleges and universities that issue official electronic transcripts can email them to email@example.com.)
- If required, submit your GRE or TOEFL score directly from ETS. DePaul’s institution code is 1165.
The Office of Graduate Admission
College of Science and Health
2400 N. Sheffield Avenue
Chicago, IL 60614-2215
Applying Through NursingCAS
Applicants to the DNP program have the option of applying through NursingCAS. Applying through NursingCAS allows you to submit your application to DePaul and other institutions nationwide through one centralized application. NursingCAS also verifies your academic credentials on behalf of DePaul. We are currently accepting NursingCAS applications to the DNP for fall 2014.
Detailed instructions for completing your NursingCAS application can be found at the following:
How to Complete a NursingCAS Application video
How to Complete a NursingCAS Application PowerPoint
- Visit www.nursing.org and click “Apply Here” to initiate your application.
- Click on “Create Account” and complete the required fields.
- Save your personal statement in the “Personal Statement” section of NursingCAS. Title it “DePaul University DNP Program.” Attach the statement to DePaul University prior to e-submitting your application.
- Request that your references be submitted via the “References” section of NursingCAS. Attach your references to DePaul University prior to e-submitting your application.
- Upload a copy of your CV or resume into the “Documents Upload” section of NursingCAS. Remember to attach your resume to DePaul University prior to e-submitting your applications.
- Complete DePaul’s Supplemental Question Sheet, upload it into the “Documents Upload” section of NursingCAS and attach it to DePaul University prior to e-submitting your application.
- If required to submit a GRE score, you should report your score in the “Tests” section of the NursingCAS application. Have your official score sent directly from ETS to DePaul University. DePaul’s institution code is 1165.
- Submit official transcripts from each college or university attended. All official transcripts must be mailed from the issuing institution’s registrar’s office directly to NursingCAS. In order to expedite the processing be sure to include the Transcript Request Form. Have the transcripts mailed to the following address:
P.O. Box 9201
Watertown, MA 02471
You must input all of your college level coursework into the NursingCAS application. Be sure to have a copy of your transcript(s) in hand or accessible in order to complete this section. All college level coursework (including in-progress coursework) must be entered into the application in this section. There is a short, instructional video posted here
on how to accurately complete this section. And detailed instructions are posted here
. This will be the most time-consuming aspect of the application process.
If you would rather have NursingCAS staff enter in your coursework data on your behalf then you have the option of paying an additional fee to use the Coursework Entry Service. Click here
to learn more about the service. The data entered into this section is used to calculate GPAs in order to make admission decisions.
- Transcripts from international institutions must be evaluated by a transcript evaluation service, DePaul University and NursingCAS both accept Educational Credential Evaluators, Inc. (ECE) so this is the recommended evaluation service for international applicants who wish to apply to DePaul using the NursingCAS application. International credit evaluations should be mailed to NursingCAS at the address above.
- If required to submit a TOEFL score, you should report your score in the “Tests” section of the NursingCAS application. Have your official score sent directly from ETS to DePaul. DePaul’s institution code is 1165.
Helpful Hints on Using NursingCAS
Use the Quick Status Menu while logged into your NursingCAS application to check to see if your transcripts have been received or use this link, https://portal.nursingcas.org/?rm=status_transcripts
. You can also use the Quick Status Menu to check to see if your references have been submitted.
Questions about NursingCAS
For questions regarding the NursingCAS application please contact NursingCAS support via phone at 617-612-2880 Monday – Thursday 9:00 AM – 7:00 PM Eastern Time and Friday 9:00 AM – 5:00 PM Eastern Time and via email at firstname.lastname@example.org
. Or post questions to NursingCAS by following their Twitter
accounts. Detailed instructions
are available too. Instructional videos are posted on the NursingCAS YouTube channel.
Monitor the Status of Your Application:
The “My Messages” section of the NursingCAS application will include any messages that NursingCAS or a school has sent to you. Please check your “My Messages” to see if you have received any vital information about your application. Messages will be sent to the “My Messages” inbox and your personal email address that you used to create your account.
Use the “Quick Status Menu” options to check to see if your Transcript(s)
, or Payment(s)
have been received after you submit them. To check to see which Designations
you have selected (in other words programs you have applied to) click on the Designations
option under the “Quick Status”.